Saturday, March 7, 2020

Song Approval

Song Approval
As time allows, I plan on asking for permission to use a variety of songs in my video. I am picking better-known songs, so I am sending out applications to as many record labels possible so that Maybe, just maybe a catch something decent. I want the routine scene to be music-driven and would love an upbeat song that matches the 60-70's vibe I am trying to create.

I have drafted this email to send to record labels and publishing companies.
Hello! My name is Annika Mussell and I am currently creating a no-profit 2-minute film opening for my Media Studies class (at Cypress Bay Highschool). The video would be seen by my teachers and some students from my class. It would also be posted on a blog, only visible by my teachers. I think "Song" would be the perfect song for my movie and was wondering if I could get approval to use the first two minutes of the song in my opening.
Song:
Writer:
Timing: 00:00 to 2:15
Use: Home video/student project
Version: Original track (not a cover)
Non-profit: No advertisement or promotional use
Unforeseen Challenge:
Sending these emails has resulted a little more difficult than I thought. I have gotten many emails referring me to the people, who then refer me to other people. I am a little frustrated at this point and scared I won't have any song to put in my opening. At least it got me to start checking my email again. The problem is that sometimes, especially famous, popular songs have multiple publishers like the song Obladi, Oblada hav=s a total of 5 publishers, each of which I must get approval.

Ei:

Hello Annika

Thanks for your enquiry.  The original recording of This Is The Day should be cleared by Universal Music and Sony Records.  See their contacts below

Universal - to clear publishing rights.  ***anne **rey ***anne.**rey@umusic.com
Sony - to clear master rights. ***ve **hford ***ve.***ford@sonymusic.com

Good luck with your project.

Many thanks,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment