Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Outline for My Main Character

After giving it a little bit more thought and realistically thinking through my ideas to determine first: what exactly I would like to do for this project and second: what I can do realistically with my experience, skills, and resources, I have modified and narrowed down my vague 60-70's activist concept. Here is my decision on who my main character will be:

Character: A Badass (couldn't find a cleaner equivalent that captured the character trope better)
I want to make my character quirky, different, a little weird, passionate, extroverted, and a force to be reckoned with. I want to somehow convey to the audience that she is a good person, but at the same time that she bites back and is not always nice or polite. I think I can achieve this by contrasting how she acts by her self with how she treats others. Her actions will show that inside she cares, but on the outside, she is cold when it comes to interacting with other people. I would like her to be straightforward and maybe little on the blunt side, yet by seeing her in her own space, the viewer can tell she is compassionate and shows she cares in her own way. I don't see her having many friends because she is very bossy and at times conflictive; most of her past friendships have ended abruptly and badly.

I think she would be pragmatic and simple, not focused on labels or brands/ she would know very little about them. Even though it is similar, I would try to stay away from the "unlikeable, frigid tomboy" trope because it sometimes feels shallow and underdeveloped to me; she would not fit the typical hippie/bohemian laidback personality either, she likes the 70's themed aesthetic due to be parents but she most definitely does not do drugs or participates in risky activities. I want it to be understood that she can be crazy and aggressive when giving a speech, but it is because she cares and seeing injustice frustrates her. I want her to be very smart, which maybe makes her a bit arrogant and able of underestimating the intelligence of others. Even though she seems like a horrible person now, I hope to show (not tell), all of her flaws come from a good place. She is considered by many friends and family to always be fighting for a lost cause.

Age:16-19 years old
Occupation: Student/ activist and environmentalist
-leader of many ecological clubs
-Good Student (too uptight to let grades slip, parents don't really care)
Parents:
-Mother: Human Rights Lawyer
-Father: Yoga Instructor at Community Center


Main inspirations:
-Lucy Kelson: 2 Weeks Notice
-Gretta Thunberg: Life
-Ruth Bator Ginsburg: On The Basis of Sex
-Amy: Booksmart
-Lisbeth: Girl With The Dragon Tatoo
-Lady Bird: Lady Bird


No comments:

Post a Comment