Sunday, February 23, 2020

UPDATE ON YOGA IDEA! - Challenges

Update: I still haven't decided whether or not I will go through with the yoga idea. The more I think of it the more I am convinced it might be too hard. :(

I made a list of definite obstacles I will face if I do through with it
(To mentally prepare myself for what is to come or decide scratch the idea)

1. SECURING THE YOGA STUDIO
I already spoke to my yoga instructor and asked her if it would be possible for me to borrow the room for filming. I kind of downplayed the "size" of the production, telling her it was just for a "short video I need to make for school" not a "not so short video that is my life right now and will require at least a couple of hours to film" She was very nice and asked her boss who granted me permission to film for 1 HOUR! That is nooooot enough time!! The problem is that they added a lot of new classes for the winter and there is not that much space in the schedule for me to have more time.

2. SECURING THE YOGIS
You may ask yourself, Why don't I film in 2 or 3 one hour sessions? The answer is.. YOGIS. In order to achieve the creepy, culty effect of chanting and breathing in unison, I'm going to need a cults-worth of people. I would say at least 5-6, not counting my 2 actresses. Making this many people do me a huge favor could already be problematic, but making them come to film multiple times wearing the same clothes, would just be disrespectful of their time. On top of all that, none of my friends are members of my gymnasium where the yoga studio is located. Getting them all day-passes would be very hard. For that reason, I asked my mom (a real-life yogi) to recruit some of her friends and classmates. The problem is that most of them are moms, and they operate on different schedules as well as probably are not fans of being on camera (like my mom.)

3. DIM LIGHTING + FILMING W/ MIRRORS
Another obstacle I might run into includes filming in a dark room like the yoga room. I liked that this specific studio has LED lights of different colors, but when it comes to white light, the only options are on and off; there is no dimming feature. For this reason, filming in complete darkness would get me mediocre-quality footage at best, which is not really what I am going for; unless I brought my own lighting crew... that I don't have and don't think my parents would get for me to use one time. On top of all of that, I realized that the yoga room doubles as a barre room and an entire wall in the studio is a full-length mirror! This can cause many problems when filming, especially establishing shots because it would be very easy for me, the camerawoman to be seen.

5. CASTING
I also feel like this option would require substantial acting abilities. I would need my yogis to act like friendly moms, successfully execute a choreographed yoga flow in sync, and dialogue with my main character. I would also need an instructor to authoritatively direct the class in the background as well as a victim that will need to pretend to convulse and choke. For my main actress, the role requires the portrayal of emotion and worry as well as some dialogue. Of the people who I think might be able to play the role, I don't think any have the abilities to act out this scene without it seeming unprofessional or comical.

Overall, this idea is seeming more and more impossible. Maybe it is a sign from the universe!


No comments:

Post a Comment